Open studio demonstration was this week. This was the video I made to demo my project.
For the last work week of class I first tested the LEDs on my hat to make sure that they lit up, which they did not. For some reason the first LED would not light up and the LEDs would not turn on unless I applied pressure to the wires connecting the beginning of the NeoPixel strip. After cutting the first LED light off the problem was fixed.
Then I started to write the code for the temperature sensor which I could not figure out how to do with the Flora. With time running low, I had to switch back to my initial idea of doing a volume meter hat. I plan to add the temperature sensor to my project in a later time though this summer.
After soldering the mic amplifier to the flora, cutting a small hole in the hat for the amplifier to stick through, and sewing the amplifier to my hat, I finished my project and it is ready to go!
We had Ryan come in again this week and he taught us how to reverse engineer objects using 123D Design and an electronic digital caliper. The caliper can measure lengths and depths. Using this technique he made a casing for the XBee.
After this the rest of the time we spent as open studio time for our final projects. I slightly shifted my idea from being a hat that displays the LED lights based on the volume, to displaying the LED lights based on the temperature of the person wearing the hat. This will allow the people surrounding the person to see what mood that person is currently in.
I cut my NeoPixel strip into pieces measured to fit my hat. I then soldered them together. This weekend I sewed the strips onto the hat and started to write the code to make my “mood hat”.
This week we had Ryan Moore, who is an HCDE grad student and industrial designer, give us a short workshop on the basics of 3D modeling and printing. He taught us the steps to using 3D printing technology. After this we made our own design for a chess piece and had the opportunity to print it out.
1. Sketch in CAD (we used 123D Design)
2. Add your sketch to MakerBot
4. Put on SD card and insert into MakerBot Replicator
Then we had free studio time to work on our final projects or to continue learning the 3D printing technology.
My parts for my final project are coming in tomorrow afternoon so I should be able to get my project started very soon!
This week we discussed our final projects even further by getting into small groups based upon our project proposal write up. However, I decided to change my project idea the night before so I was not in a group that had a similar project. Even though this happened, my partner and I were able to discuss and share our ideas and input. My new project idea is for a volume unit display hat. It will sense the amount of noise around it and change its LED light display accordingly. After I get this to work I will experiment further by giving the user different outputs based upon different things. I was thinking I could get a light sensor and make the hat flash to remind the user when to put on more sun screen.
After this, we had a short lecture about wireless technologies we could use with our Arduino projects, for example the XBee. Then Aniket showed us how he wirelessly connected his Arduino to the traffic light in the back of the room.
Then, we had free studio time to start working on our projects. I spent this time writing up a new proposal for my project and then looking up the parts I needed to build it. When I got back home I ordered all the parts. I am excited for all my parts to arrive so that I can start building!
This week we started class of by having Tyler talk about project that involving physical computing. He was experimenting with fluorescent bacteria and a human’s pulse in making an interactive art piece.
Then we learned about Fritzing, a tool for creating diagrams of the circuits made with Arduino.
After that, we got into small groups and discussed our final project ideas. It was interesting to hear more in depth what some of my classmates’ ideas were and also to expand on my own. We talked about how we were actually going to do our projects, which got me thinking more realistically about my project.
Then we continued to work on our Bike Computer assignment and I was able to get most of it finished. I also soldered the wires attached to the LCD onto pins and used a heat gun to attach plastic covers onto the exposed pieces of wire. The picture below shows my progress. Attached to the Bike Computer were a couple of things:
Magnet sensor – to detect the revolutions of the bike’s wheel
Clock – displays the time in real time
Button – to change the display on the LCD
This week we started off by giving one minute presentations on the ideas we had for our final project. My first idea was to experiment with conductive paint and make a control pad to play games on computers. My second idea was to connect my garage opener to my phone so that I could open my garage through my phone and also my family members’ phones.
Then we continued working on the Bike Computer assignment and we also learned how to solder. I practiced soldering on LED lights and then obtained a LCD display which I had to solder parts of it together. I also got a clock, so now that I have all the materials needed for the Bike Computer. I plan to finish this assignment up so that I can test it out during next class.