HCDE 498 – Week 9

Open studio demonstration was this week. This was the video I made to demo my project.

Advertisements
HCDE 498 – Week 9

HCDE 498 – Week 8

For the last work week of class I first tested the LEDs on my hat to make sure that they lit up, which they did not. For some reason the first LED would not light up and the LEDs would not turn on unless I applied pressure to the wires connecting the beginning of the NeoPixel strip. After cutting the first LED light off the problem was fixed.

Then I started to write the code for the temperature sensor which I could not figure out how to do with the Flora. With time running low, I had to switch back to my initial idea of doing a volume meter hat. I plan to add the temperature sensor to my project in a later time though this summer.

After soldering the mic amplifier to the flora, cutting a small hole in the hat for the amplifier to stick through, and sewing the amplifier to my hat, I finished my project and it is ready to go!

20140819_190322

20140819_181118

20140819_184939

HCDE 498 – Week 8

HCDE 498 – Week 7

We had Ryan come in again this week and he taught us how to reverse engineer objects using 123D Design and an electronic digital caliper. The caliper can measure lengths and depths. Using this technique he made a casing for the XBee.

20140806_162652

After this the rest of the time we spent as open studio time for our final projects. I slightly shifted my idea from being a hat that displays the LED lights based on the volume, to displaying the LED lights based on the temperature of the person wearing the hat. This will allow the people surrounding the person to see what mood that person is currently in.

I cut my NeoPixel strip into pieces measured to fit my hat. I then soldered them together. This weekend I sewed the strips onto the hat and started to write the code to make my “mood hat”.

20140806_18080420140806_194022

20140807_211905

HCDE 498 – Week 7